27 February 2006

Reading Log

I have enjoyed creating a web page about books. This blog is a companion to the web page. It is meant as a space to explore what I am reading and record new books and resources I would like to consider including on the web page.
I was discussing my reading log with a friend last week. She had never explored the idea of keeping a reading log. Mine is pretty simple. Each year I reserve a page or two in my journal to record what I read that year. I only note the title, author, and give it a rating. My ratings are based on the ABC grading method used in school. I also use the minus (-) and plus (+). I keep the reading log for a few reasons.
  1. To keep a record of what I have read.
  2. To note authors whose works I enjoy.
  3. To notice patterns in my reading i.e. what I seem to read at different periods in my life.
  4. To strive for a balance in my reading habits and not limit myself to one genre or subject.
  5. To help me select books that are my idea of the best books (and A-, A, or A+ rating).

I noticed in one reading blog mention of del.icio.us. I think that might be an interesting way to keep a reading log. Will explore that some more.


Comments:
Interesting Idea I actually recently did a tag on this very subject. I am going to list my answers here, and if you would like to answer as well that would be cool.

--------------------------------

1. What is the total number of books you own?
Maybe 50. 99.9% of books are not worth the cost of having to pack them in what is ultimately the heaviest damn box on moving day. :) Remind me to never help EOTR move. :)

2. What is the last book you bought? God: A biography

3. What are you currently reading? God: A Biography, Supernatural - Graham Hancock, The book of the Dead, Wild at Heart (again), The Bible, A Family of Value - Rosemond, Abraham Lincoln: A photographic story of a life, SAS Survival Handbook, When good People Write Bad Sentences - Harris, and Lincoln Of the people by the people for the people, The Dead Sea scrolls a new compilation, and Do Gooders - Charen. (I ned to finish some of those.) :)

4. What books do you wish to buy next? I will get yelled at by my wife if I buy another book before I finish some of those. :)

5. What books have you owned for ages but haven't read? 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

6. What 5 books have influenced you? The Bible - God ;), Fingerprints of the Gods - Hancock, Wild At Heart - Eldredge, Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu, The Wheel of Time - Jordan.

Also I love to read BLOGs and other peoples thoughts. Especially honest thoughts. EOTR is one of my absolute favorite bloggers because of her honesty.

I believe you can get your finger on the pulse of the "caring world" by reading BLOGs.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?